We use wayfinding solutions every day. You might not even think about it, but navigating any facility would be much more difficult without signs, maps, or directories. In fact, just about any business can benefit from innovative wayfinding solutions, not to mention the perks these provide for individuals with disabilities.
Importance of Wayfinding
Directional signage helps people get from point A to point B. One of the most important aspects is that wayfinding systems help businesses comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Local regulations that require accessibility compliance must be considered as well.
An ADA-compliant wayfinding solution is designed to provide a tactile response via raised bars or domes. Directional tiles make paths of travel easier to follow for pedestrians who are visually impaired or who otherwise struggle with traversing a walking path.
Other benefits of wayfinding solutions include:
- Convenience: Customers and visitors can feel more at ease when navigating your facility. They don’t have to ask for help or assistance, and they have a sense that your business is willing to accommodate them.
- Differentiate Your Business: Your organization will likely stand out from competitors that may not use the same innovative wayfinding solutions. Be as creative as you want. The right wayfinding systems can earn you accolades via word-of-mouth on social media, for example.
- Strengthen Your Brand: In addition to projecting professionalism, wayfinding graphics can be used to build your brand. The design and message conveyed can provide new ways to deliver your company message and make visitors’ experiences more memorable.
Wayfinding solutions can also serve these key purposes:
- Identify where a visitor is, certain rooms, and building exits and entry points.
- Provide direction to a specific destination, such as an elevator or office.
- Indicate where to take caution, access more information, and whether there’s free Wi-Fi, etc.
- Inform of regulations like no smoking, where safety precautions are needed, or if a parking spot is legal.
Facilities/Businesses That Could Benefit from Wayfinding
Places where you’re most likely to find the most innovative wayfinding solutions include:
- Healthcare Facilities: Patients with an appointment or visitors looking for a specific area benefit from intuitive directories and interactive maps. Navigating the floorplan of, for example, a hospital can be frustrating. A wayfinding system, including tactile tiles, can reduce frustration and even increase staff efficiency.
- Corporate Campuses: Employees can more easily find where they are going, improving your company culture and productivity while clients and vendors benefit as well. Intuitive wayfinding systems can be used to provide alerts, share announcements, and communicate events.
- Malls: Mall directory kiosks help provide a more positive experience for shoppers. With a directory, you can find specific stores and where to dine or play. Many print directories are being replaced by digital interactive displays for even more functionality.
- Hotels and Resorts: Signs pointing to restaurants, amenities, and events help accommodate guests and create the least frustrating experience possible. A wayfinding platform can also point to where a meeting, convention, or on-site entertainment venue is.
- Airports: Of any facility, an airport benefits the most from wayfinding. Travelers often have limited time to find where they are going, whether parking, checking in, or arriving at the right gate. Airports often have places to dine, shop, and lounge; wayfinding signs and paths can help locate any amenity available.
- Museums/Parks: Museums often have large, complex floor plans; wayfinding can help visitors see everything they want. Venues such as amusement parks can help visitors find rides, dining facilities, and entertainment options they want to experience most.
- Stadiums: Finding your seat at a stadium can be challenging, especially if you’ve never been to the venue. Wayfinding solutions can help people get around, advertise/promote products or events and provide quick information using digital signs, wall-mounted screens, or overhead signage.
- Universities: A sprawling college campus can make any student, faculty member, or visitor feel intimidated. Wayfinding can help get around easier and communicate general information. Students can more quickly get to class, while users in general can find restrooms, public workspaces, or offices/meeting rooms.
Wayfinding Solutions that ADA Solutions Offers
ADA Solutions provides ADA-compliant directional bar tile and guide tile. In addition to indicating the path of travel for pedestrians, these weather- and wear-resistant products last several years. Our directional bar tile is available in five different sizes: 6” x 24”, 6” x 48”, 12” x 12”, 12” x 24”, and 24” x 24”. Guide tile is produced as 4” x 24” units.
These surface mount or cast-in-place replaceable products are UV stable and built for exterior applications. Homogeneous glass/carbon/fiberglass-reinforced composite materials maximize durability. Color options include Federal Yellow, White, Brick Red, Black, and Dark Gray.
Our innovative wayfinding solutions are designed for installation on a concrete substrate. In addition to the ADA, they also comply with California Title 24 and other regulations and standards. Each is manufactured at our ISO 9002-certified facility in Ohio.
Call 800-372-0519 to learn more.